301 Redirects On Adult Blog

Home Forums Newbie Helpdesk 301 Redirects On Adult Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jacopo

I’m moving some pages around on my adult blog and I’d like to do some 301 permanent redirects from the old to the new pages.

Does anyone know how long one should keep those redirects in your htaccess file? I know the obvious answer is: until Google indexes the new pages, but how long should one keep those redirects active in the htaccess.

#3168 Reply
    DOC

I keep them for almost a year. Even after that you will see requests from Google Spiders for those pages. But yes I would leave them on for atleast 6 months.

Google is supposed to be quicker now days, but it doesnt hurt to leave thme up for a longer time.

#3169 Reply
    mateht

If there are links to any of the old URLs from anywhere then you should keep the redirects indefinitely. Even if there aren’t Google will check for months to see the status of the old URL.

#3170 Reply
    DOC

Very good point.

Never understood why they keep coming back, even years later. Other than that there are some links somewhere pointing to old pages which spiders follow.

#3171 Reply
    dannylzj

Don’t discount bookmarkers on those pages either. Those clicks could be coming in for a very long time especially if those models were as hot as most of the ones you put on your site.

#3172 Reply
    affdot

Here’s a related question:

I was told that having multiple domains point to the same content was a no-no from Google’s perspective. So I assumed that, for example, using a 301 redirect from aaa.net to aaa.com would make sense and keep aaa.com from getting dinged.

Is that a bad idea? Is there a better solution, such as just using a refresh? Is there a reason to not have a permanent 301?

#3173 Reply
    mateht

There should only be one authoritative URL for every unique piece of text. If you’re in a syndication situation you can have the non-authoritative URLs point to the authoritative URLs – say when you’re using a feed from a hosted blog. If you have multiple sites that are just copies of each other (aaa.com and aaa.net) then you want to 301 the secondary domains to the one you want to be authoritative. Same goes for www vs non-www – pick one and live with it. And like-wise for affiliate URLs – you should detect for the major spiders and 301 all affiliate URLs to the authoritative URL (also helps with sales since affiliates can’t get pages on your server with their affiliate code to rank for organic traffic).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: 301 Redirects On Adult Blog
Your information: